Piers Morgan says he’s had messages from Royal Family

Piers Morgan, DailyMail.com’s Editor-at-Large, has revealed he’s had messages on behalf of members of the Royal Family expressing ‘gratitude someone was standing up for them’ in the wake of Harry and Meghan’s Oprah Winfrey interview.

Morgan made the admission in an interview with Extra‘s Billy Bush, which is set to air Tuesday night, when he was asked if anyone from the Royal Family had reached out following the couple’s interview last month. 

‘I’ve had some messages communicated to me on behalf on several members of the Royal Family,’ Morgan said.

He would not reveal if it was senior members of the Royal Family who had communicated the messages.  

‘I’m not going to go into who it was… but gratitude that somebody was standing up,’ he said. 

Piers Morgan, DailyMail.com's Editor-at-Large, made the admission in an interview with Extra's Billy Bush, which is set to air Tuesday night

Piers Morgan, DailyMail.com's Editor-at-Large, made the admission in an interview with Extra's Billy Bush, which is set to air Tuesday night

Piers Morgan, DailyMail.com’s Editor-at-Large, made the admission in an interview with Extra’s Billy Bush, which is set to air Tuesday night

Morgan left his British breakfast TV show, Good Morning Britain, back on March 9 over his on-air comments about Meghan Markle in the wake of the Oprah interview. 

He had said that he didn’t believe a word of Markle’s interview and slammed her for insinuating that the Royal Family was racist.

‘There’s been an attempt to cancel me. There’ve been many attempts like this before, and somehow I remain resolutely uncanceled,’ Morgan said. 

‘In the end, I was required to apologize for disbelieving Meghan Markle, who I don’t believe – and I believe, which is ironic, that you should not believe somebody if you don’t want to,’ Morgan said of his departure from his show. 

In the aftermath, there were reports Markle had personally contacted the boss of the ITV network, Morgan’s former employer, to complain about him. 

Morgan said he wasn’t aware Markle had contacted the network until after he left. 

‘It was certainly a very interesting revelation from where I sit, because clearly she was trying to put huge pressure on my bosses to take action against me,’ he said. 

The network received 57,000 complaints about Morgan following his Markle comments, which he said came from an ‘online mob’ that made death threats against his family, including his sons. 

‘My wife’s always been completely supportive about this, but she hates the online abuse. The idea my sons had to be targeted by so-called liberals in a way that was threatening to them, abusive to them is completely disgusting,’ he said.     

Morgan revealed he has had messages on behalf of members of the Royal Family expressing 'gratitude someone was standing up for them' in the wake of Harry and Meghan's Oprah Winfrey interview last month

Morgan revealed he has had messages on behalf of members of the Royal Family expressing 'gratitude someone was standing up for them' in the wake of Harry and Meghan's Oprah Winfrey interview last month

Morgan revealed he has had messages on behalf of members of the Royal Family expressing ‘gratitude someone was standing up for them’ in the wake of Harry and Meghan’s Oprah Winfrey interview last month

Asked by Bush what he was say to Markle now given the chance, Morgan said he would ask her to sit down for an interview so he could put some ‘difficult questions’ to her.

‘I would say to Meghan Markle, ‘Look… sit down with me with your husband for an equally long interview… and let me ask you more difficult questions about all your claims,’ Morgan said. 

‘But let me ask you a wider question, which is this: If you hate the royal family that much, why do you keep your royal titles? Why would you do that if it’s just not to make millions and millions of dollars?’

His appearance on Extra came after Morgan gave his first wide-ranging TV interview in the wake of the controversy to Fox News’ Tucker Carlson on Monday.

More Stories
The Big Apple bounces back: Before and after photos show life returning to New York