Meghan and Harry Oprah interview – Live: Prince claims Charles and William ‘trapped’, as palace faces racism questions

A two-hour TV special in which Oprah Winfrey interviewed Prince Harry and Meghan Markle delivered a number of revelations that have been described as “devastating” and approaching “worst-case scenario territory” for Buckingham Palace.

The broadcast, which aired on American network, CBS, on Sunday night, was then played to UK audiences on ITV on Monday night.

During the interview, which was originally over three hours long but was cut down for TV, Meghan revealed that she had suffered from suicidal thoughts and said that the palace did not help her when asked.

She cleared up a number of rumours regarding her relationship with other royals calling the Queen “wonderful” – sharing examples of gifts and kind gestures – and saying that the whole family had been very welcoming.

Meghan also said that conversations were had about how dark her child’s skin would be when she was pregnant. Winfrey confirmed that Harry had asked her to ensure it was clear neither the Queen nor the Duke of Edinburgh were part of those conversations.

In a separate clip, Harry spoke about how he tried to see his grandmother, the Queen, shortly before the couple announced they were stepping down, but was unable to as she had a full diary, to which Oprah suggests ”the Queen gets to do what the Queen wants to do”.

He replied: “No, when you’re head of ‘The Firm’, there is people around you that give you advice. And what has also made me really sad is that sometimes that advice has been really bad.”

1615253288

41 of the best reactions and memes to the big Harry and Meghan interview

The most talked about and anticipated television event of the year aired on Sunday evening in the United States as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were interviewed about their rift with the Royal Family by Oprah Winfrey.

The interview which aired in the US on CBS and is due to be shown on ITV on Monday evening, saw the Duke and Duchess of Sussex reveal some of the details on their disintegrating relationship with the rest of the Royals, which contained several eye-opening bombshells.

Key moments saw Meghan reveal that she had suffered from suicidal thoughts and that Buckingham Palace had not done anything to help when asked and that there had been concerned conversations of the skin colour of their child Archie, whilst Markle was still pregnant and that because he wasn’t a prince he wouldn’t receive any security protection.

Greg Evans reports.

Justin Vallejo9 March 2021 01:28

1615250003

‘He’s like a guy in a hostage video’: Donald Trump Jr says Harry brainwashed into a woke reality

It’s time for the Trump family to weigh in on the Oprah interview, with the junior Donald saying he can relate to the Duchess as someone that comes from a high-profile family dealing with media.

He said he feels bad for Harry for being brainwashed into a woke reality, but that Meghan was playing the victim for media attention.

“Are we pretending that Meghan Markle isn’t the kind of person who was looking for all of this attention, because it seems like literally all of her actions in life up until now were about getting that kind of attention for herself,” Trump Jr said.

In the 8-minute response video, in which he said he didn’t actually watch the interview, Trump Jr said he was most shocked that none of the allegations she made have been questioned.

“Obviously racism, a terrible thing, but let’s hear more about it. Was it someone in the periphery? I don’t think it was the Queen? That seems like that’s not the case, but it seems like you’re trying to create a story for more of that attention that you’re pretending that you don’t love,” he said.

He added: “Has she ever met a camera that she probably didn’t love? Are we really pretending that? I actually feel bad for Harry, he’s like a guy in a hostage video. He actually seems like a dude that I want to have a been with. I’m not sure what’s happened to him over the last couple of years.”

Watch the full video below.

Justin Vallejo9 March 2021 00:33

1615248492

Samantha Markle says half-sister Meghan lied about key details of family relationship in Oprah interview

Samantha Markle responded to her half-sister’s Oprah interview, saying the “truth was totally ignored or omitted”.

In an exclusive interview with Inside Edition, Samantha Markle responded to Meghan’s claims she was raised as an only child.

“I don’t know how she can say ‘I don’t know her’ and she was an ‘only child’. We’ve got photographs over a lifespan of us together. So how can she not know me?’ she said, while giving Inside Edition images of the two together over the years, the most recent in 2008.

The Duchess also claimed Samantha changed her surname to Markle after she started dating Harry, in an implication that her claims were to capitalise on the publicity and, thus, couldn’t be trusted.

Samantha showed Inside Edition a petition to change her name that was dated back to December 1997, as well as her college diploma in the name of Samantha M Markle.

“I was a Markle before she was,” she said. “I thought that was kind of weird that she would say I only changed my name back when she met Harry. Markle has always been my name.”

Justin Vallejo9 March 2021 00:08

1615247034

Meghan ‘vindictive’ and Harry a ‘weak man ruined’, says Nigel Farage

As reaction continues to roll in, Nigel Farage has weighed in to give his two cents to the claims made in the Oprah interview.

Farage said that Meghan planned a Hollywood career on the back of being a princess from the start, that Harry was too weak to deal with it, and the couple is intent on destroying the monarchy.

“It is the slur of racism against the royal family that really upsets me. The Queen is coming up now for 70 years. Not just the Queen of our country but head of the Commonwealth. She and the royal family have ceaselessly over the decades toured around the Commonwealth, something that has meant so much to them,” he said.

“The vast majority of the 2.3 billion that live in the Commonwealth are Asian or black. You could argue the royal family have done more for people of colour than any other family or group of people in the world.”

On Harry, he said: “To publicly betray members of your own family in front of the world’s media, the way that he has done, is I think, nothing short of being absolutely despicable.”

Justin Vallejo8 March 2021 23:43

1615246232

The Diana interview

If you’re reeling from the numerous bombshells dropped in the last couple of hours, then you might want to remember this isn’t the first time such tea has been spilled on the royals.

In November 1995, Princess Diana sat down with the then-relatively unknown Martin Bashir on the BBC to dish the dirt on her in-laws.

Similarly to her son and his wife, the Princess of Wales spoke about everything from behind-the-scenes palace intrigue to her mental health struggles in private.

Read more about why it was so controversial here and what did the public learn here.

Harry’s friend says prince took action as ‘he didn’t want to be following another coffin’

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 23:30

1615244957

“The fallout from this will shudder down through the generations”

Andrew Morton, who wrote the tell-all royal interview on Princess Diana, before her death in 1997, spoke to ITV on Monday night about the Oprah interview.

He said: “Make no mistake, the fallout from this will shudder down through the generations in the same way that Diana’s did.

“We’ve forgotten nothing and remembered nothing. I have to say I find this very sad.

“I find it jaw dropping quite frankly to think they’re talking about what colour skin Archie would have…”

Pareja real separada tras 11 años de matrimonio

(Getty Images)

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 23:09

1615243676

A happy ending?

Oprah rounds up the interview, by asking Meghan: “So your story with the Prince does it have a happy ending?”

Meghan said: “It does. Greater than any fairytale you’ve ever read…”

Harry: “Yeah without question [she saved me] there were other forces at play. I’m the last person to think ohhh but it’s undeniable when these things have happened…without question, she saved me.”

Meghan interrupts to say: “He [Harry] saved all of us, he ultimately called it.

“[He said] We’ve got to find a way for us, for Archie, made a decision that certainly saved my life. You need to want to be saved.”

(PA)

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 22:47

1615243448

Harry on his brother, William

“A lot has been said about your relationship with your brother,” said Oprah.

Harry responded: “And much will continue to be said about that.

“I love William to bits, he is my brother, we’ve been through hell together and have a shared experience but we’re on different paths.

“The relationship is space at the moment and time heals all things…hopefully.”

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 22:44

1615243344

Meghan phoned the Queen about Philip in hospital

Meghan said when she heard from her UK press team that the Duke of Edinburgh had gone into hospital in mid-February, she picked up the phone and called Her Majesty straight away.

She said: “I just called the Queen just to check in and call – not have to default every moment to say ‘is that appropriate?’”

Harry added: “What they [my family] do is a level of control in it cause they’re fearful of what the papers are going to say about them.

“If you get it wrong you get it wrong, if you get it right you get it right,” said Harry.

(Getty Images)

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 22:42

1615243146

Family phone calls?

Harry says he has “spoken more to the Queen in the last year” including plenty of Zoom calls so Her Majesty can see Archie.

“My grandmother and I have a really great relationship – she’s my colonel-in-chief right, and always will be.”

Speaking about Prince Charles, he said: “Yeah he is taking my calls now…there is a lot to work through there. I feel really let down because he’s been through something similar he knows what pain feels like. And Archie is his grandson.

“But at the same time of course I will always love him but there is a lot of hurt that has happened and I will continue to make it one of my priorities to try and heal that relationship.”

Prince Harry reveals he and Meghan were living off Diana inheritance

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 22:39

1615243003

The cold hard cash

Harry says that his family “cut him off” financially in the first half of 2020 and he has been living on money left behind by Princess Diana.

“The Netflix and the Spotify of it all – That was never part of the plan,“ he says.

But says that without cash coming in he still needs to be able to pay for the security for his family – Meghan and Archie.

“I think my mum saw this coming and I certainly felt her presence throughout this whole process.

“I’m just really relieved to be sat here talking to you,” he says, gesturing to Oprah and his wife.

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 22:36

1615242385

‘Trapped within the system’

“My father and my brother – they are trapped. They don’t get to leave and I have to have compassion for that,” says Harry.

Oprah said the impression from the outside was that Harry enjoyed the royal life before Meghan came along.

Harry responds strongly: “Enjoying that life because I was smiling while I was shaking hands and meeting people..? That is expected, no matter what is going on in your personal life.

“If the bikes roll up and the car rolls up you have to shake off whatever you’re thinking about and you’ve got to be on your A game.”

(AFP via Getty)

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 22:26

1615242201

A turning point

Harry says his family “were really welcoming [at first] but it really changed after the Australia tour”.

“It was the first time the family got to see how incredible she is at the job,” says Harry.

“To see how effortless it was for Meghan to come into the family and just be able to connect with people.”

Harry said he was “shocked” when his security was removed because he was born into the situation and says he “inherited the risk”.

Meghan says she wrote to the institution asking for them to keep her husband’s security.

Meghan says that she spent her own time learning how to be royal: she learned the national anthem and hymns.

Prince Harry says he and Meghan left the UK due to ‘lack of support and understanding’

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 22:23

1615241943

Royals vs. The Tabloids

Harry admitted he was ashamed of acknowledging that Meghan needed help to his family.

“It’s a very trapping environment that a lot of them are stuck in,” says Prince Harry.

“For the family they very much have this mentality of ‘this is how it is’…we’ve all been through it, [but] what was different for me is the race element,” he says.

“To say to people ‘Guys this is not going to end well’ the way that I saw it – there is a way of doing things but for us and this union and the specifics around her race, it was an opportunity for my family to show some public support,” he says.

Harry also says his family are “acutely aware” and are scared of the tabloid press. “To simplify it if you as a family member are willing to wine dine and give full access to these reporters then you will get better press,” he says.

“There is a level of control by fear,” he says. “The institution survives based on that perception”.

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 22:19

1615241645

A real Disney Princess

We’re back with the chickens.

Meghan is talking about watching Disney’sThe Little Mermaid at Frogmore Cottage and relating to the character.

“She falls in love with the prince and because of that she has to lose her voice.

“But in the end she got her voice back…”

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 22:14

1615241439

Megxit means Megxit…?

The couple have started talking about why they chose to stand down – and what finally pushed them to leave. Harry sums it up as: “Lack of support and lack of understanding”.

Meghan clarifies what they were originally looking for: “We never left the family and we only wanted to have the same type of role that exists – there are senior members and non-senior members. Earn a living, live on palace grounds and can support the Queen as and when they are called upon.”

The pair say they suggested living in a number of commonwealth countries: New Zealand, south Africa, Canada (where they did temporarily move before California).

Harry continues: “When you can see something happening in the same kind of way anyone would ask for help – ask the system of which you are part of. They could help you and share some truth or call the dogs off so to receive no help at all and be told ‘this is how it is’…”

He also mentions his mother, Princess Diana.

Talking about January 2020, Harry said: “I’ve never blindsided my grandma – I have too much respect for her” in response to allegations that the Palace did not know about the couple’s announcement in advance.

Prince Harry reveals his father the Prince of Wales stopped taking his calls

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 22:10

1615240867

It’s a girl!

Harry has pulled up a chair and joined the interview.

The happy parents have also revealed they are expecting a baby girl as a younger sibling for Archie.

In the summer, the duke and duchess will welcome a new baby. They did not offer any more specific dates for the birth.

Harry said: “To have any one or any two, but to have a boy and then a girl. What more could you ask for? The four of us and our two dogs…”

They confirmed “two is it” and would not be having more children.

(Getty Images)

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 22:01

1615240699

We’re halfway!

Pop the kettle on – we’re halfway through the interview…

Got a taste for royal chatter? Why not read our round up of the best Meghan Markle interviews here, or the best ever royal interviews here.

And in case you needed reminding: this isn’t the first time Meghan has taken on the UK tabloids. Read here.

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 21:58

1615240336

“I just didn’t want to be alive anymore”

Meghan says that the situation became so bad that she told Harry she “didn’t want to be alive anymore”.

“I remember how he just cradled me and I went to the institution and I said that I needed to go somewhere to get help…I’ve never felt this way before,” she said.

“I went to one of the most senior people to get help [in the institution] and I share this because there are so many people who are afraid to voice that they need help.

“This wasn’t a choice – this was emails and begging for help and saying very specifically I am concerned for my mental welfare.

“But nothing was ever done,” she says.

“I thought it [suicide] would have solved everything for everyone right,” and said it was “very clear”. “This isn’t some abstract idea, this is methodical.”

She told Harry she couldn’t “be left alone” and had to go to an event even though she was experiencing these suicidal thoughts.

Meghan said she couldn’t just “call an uber” and go to a hospital herself.

If you are experiencing feelings of distress and isolation, or are struggling to cope, The Samaritans offers support; you can speak to someone for free over the phone, in confidence, on 116 123 (UK and ROI), email jo@samaritans.org, or visit the Samaritans website to find details of your nearest branch.

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 21:52

1615239946

‘Concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be’

This is the moment Meghan reveals conversations that supposedly happened within the Firm about the potential skin colour of their unborn baby.

She described it as “concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born”.

Oprah says: “Who is having THAT conversation with you? What?”

“There are several conversations with Harry…potentially and what that would mean or look like,” says Meghan.

Meghan says she was not able to follow up on it – because the conversations were told to her secondhand by Harry.

Sophie Gallagher8 March 2021 21:45